Sambu, LeBeaud Anzures claim half-marathon titles; more than 9,000 participate in sold-out events.
CARLSBAD, Calif. – (January 19, 2014) – Cool early morning temperatures and partly cloudy skies created Chamber of Commerce-like conditions for elite and recreational athletes alike at the 23rd Tri-City Medical Center Carlsbad Marathon & Half Marathon held Sunday morning in Carlsbad, Calif.
More than 9,000 runners and walkers from 48 states and 14 foreign countries participated in the 26.2- and 13.1-mile coastal tours of this classic Southern California city.
Ethiopians swept the winner's podium in the marathon event with Abiyot Endale and Aregash Abate claiming victories. Endale, 27 won the men's division in two-hours, 18 minutes, 35 seconds - the third fastest finish time in the event's history. Sage Canaday, 28, of Boulder, Colo. finished second in 2:22:15 with Mexico's Mario Macias, the two-time defending champion, battling it out for third, just 7 seconds back in 2:22:22.
In the women's marathon division, Abate, 22, took the lead and never looked back, finishing in 2:48:29. Bonnie Axman, 29, of San Diego placed second in 2:50:40, while Jacqui Giuliano, 27, of Oakland Hills, Ill., took third (2:54:16).
In the half-marathon race, defending champion Stephen Sambu, 25, of Kenya bettered his 2013 run by 50 seconds, winning the men's division in 1:02:13, the second fastest winning time in the event’s history and just 7 seconds shy of the course record. Tesfaye Alemayehu, 29, of Ethiopia placed second in 1:06:18 and Rodgers Ondati of Kenya, rounded out the podium in 1:08:10.
In the women’s half marathon race, Natasha LaBeaud Anzures of San Diego took top honors, winning in 1:14:17, setting a new PR. Heather Jackson, a professional triathlete who splits her time in Carlsbad and Bend, Ore., finished second in 1:16:33. Cattie Robbie of Boulder, Colo. took third in 1:19:15.
The scenic 26.2- and 13.1-mile races started and finished at the Westfield Plaza Camino Real in Carlsbad and treated runners and walkers to tours of the Buena Vista Lagoon, the Village of Carlsbad and the Pacific coastline before returning home to the finish line. Live musical bands entertained the thousands of participants, volunteers and spectators along the course throughout the morning.
The event enlisted the help of more than 2,000 volunteers and benefited 21 official charities.
23rd Tri-City Medical Center Carlsbad Marathon
Carlsbad, CA, Sunday, January 19, 2014
1) Abiyot Endale (ETH), 2:18:35, $3,000*
2) Sage Canaday (USA/CO), 2:22:15, $1500**
3) Mario Macias (MEX), 2:22:22, $1250**
4) Abebe Mekiyura (ETH), 2:25:37, $1500**
5) Jae Young Hyung (KOR), 2:26:35, $650****
*includes $500 sub-2:30, $500 sub-2:25 and $1000 sub-2:20 bonuses
**includes $500 sub-2:30 and $500 sub-2:25 bonuses
*** includes $500 sub-2:30 bonus
1) Aregash Abate (ETH), 2:48:29, $3000*
2) Bonnie Axman (USA / CA), 2:50:40 $1000**
3) Jacqui Giuliano (USA / IL), 2:55:01, $750**
4) Melissa Rickman (USA/C)) 2:57:57, $650 **
*includes $500 sub-2:58, $500 sub-2:50 bonuses
** includes $500 sub-2:58 bonus
Tri-City Medical Center Carlsbad Half Marathon
1) Stephen Sambu (KEN), 1:02:13, $2500*
2) Tesfaye Alemayehu (ETH), 1:06:18, $750
3) Rodgers Ondati (KEN), 1:08:10, $500
4) Okwaro Raura (USA/CA), 1:11:06, $250
5) Alex Wolf-Root (USA/CO), 1:12:41, $100 *includes first sub-1:04 male bonus
1) Natasha LaBeaud Anzures (USA/CA), 1:14:17, $2500*
2) Heather Jackson (USA/OR), 1:16:33, $750
3) Cate Robbie (USA/CO), 1:19:16, $500
4) Tere Zacher (USA/AZ) 1:19:22, $250
5) Hilary Corno (USA/CA) 1:19:25, $100
*includes $1000 first sub-1:15:00 bonus
For full results and for more information, go to: www.carlsbadmarathon.com