Running Industry Technology Survey Results
Running USA and ACTIVE Network teamed up to conduct a study at the Running USA Conference in early 2020 to gather a real perspective of the technology landscape in endurance for the benefit of the entire market. The resulting data, collected one month prior to the declaration of the coronavirus pandemic, shows a deep dive on how race organizers, timers and the professional racing community across the endurance industry used technology pre-COVID-19.
- Hot trends include a big emphasis on registration software, finishing photos and mobile apps for spectators while they don’t care as much about security drones, AR engagement software and analytics tools.
- Volunteer management software was the second most-valued software to race directors with 49% of respondents using it to help manage their events.
- The top two reasons race directors say are obstacles to adopting new technology are cost and the time it takes to make the switch.
- Instant and live results technology looks like the next big thing with 94% of race directors saying it’s critical to hosting successful events and 63% having already leveraged this tool.
- Partnering with charities is becoming increasingly critical to endurance events, with 30% of respondents already leveraging fundraising software and another 40% considering implementation.