The position will work with the COO and Senior Project Manager of Events to develop and implement operational plans for P3R events
P3R is seeking a self-motivated individual with strong initiative and self-direction to join our team as an Operations Director. The position will work with the COO and Senior Project Manager of Events to develop and implement operational plans for P3R events.
The Event Operations Director position is responsible for developing and executing strategic and tactical event operations plans, establishing and managing specific operations budgets and developing and managing event operations processes.
The position will include high-level coordination and direct interface with city special events offices, police, traffic control, local contractors, vendors and management of staff to aid the successful execution of the event. In addition, the position networks and partners with a combination of internal staff and external resources including key charities, community partners, and sponsors.
The position requires the ability to work in a high-pressure, deadline-oriented environment with the added ability to multi-task. All this must be done in a professional manner with the ability to work well in a team atmosphere.
- Develops a comprehensive operations schedule/timeline for all events.
- Directs the planning, organizing, and staging of all certified/sanctioned races of P3R. Ensure that all races are accurate, safe, meet local and national requirements, including permitting, and meet the operational needs of P3R’s clients.
- Must be able to lead multiple projects simultaneously and must also meet deadlines while often allowing (and being comfortable) having multiple constituents weigh-in on important decisions and contribute to the final outcome.
- Manages all event staff including volunteers regarding event operations.
- Conducts site visits and operations meetings with supervisors, coworkers, event staff, vendors and volunteers.
- Creates signage plans for all events in coordination with all departments.
- Formulates a plan for road closures and prepares venue/course schematics for all events including communicating with city officials and businesses on the impacts of each event by providing detailed information and creating solutions when necessary.
- Develops plans and works directly with all vendors to determine needs for all events.
- Creates detailed maps of all event set up areas.
- Assists in providing event management consulting for P3R partner events and races in the city.
- Coordinates operational needs with all departments for each event.
- Manages the budget for specific sub groups within the Operations Department as well as coordinates budget activities with other operational areas within the department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Passion for mission of P3R
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Ability to deliver high quality, detailed work in a high-pressure, deadline-oriented event environment, in all conditions
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with ability to build relationships
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work with a diverse workforce
- Ability to effectively manage staff during onsite events
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with a variety of personality types from police and engineers to executive staff and warehouse personnel.
- Self-starting work ethic with good time management.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Ability to multi-task and work on many projects simultaneously.
- Ability to lead and manage a team of internal and contracted staff to implement the operations of the event.
- Ability to create and manage budgets.
- Professional and positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Project management skills
- Proficient in MS Office
- AutoCAD and Illustrator proficiency a plus
This job operates a majority of the time in a professional office environment. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. In addition, on a limited basis, this position may require work in a warehouse environment.
This position must assemble, develop, and manage a strong team with the capabilities and perspectives to produce quality events and maintain brand standards.
Cross Functional Responsibilities:
Work collaboratively and effectively with the following areas:
- Marketing, Media, and Online Engagement on customer experience and communications.
- Sales director on Sponsor Activation
- Other duties as determined by COO, including bidding on national, state and local championships
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
Occasional travel as necessary
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A minimum of 5-7 years of event management and/or race operations experience – design, implementation and management of running/endurance events.
Valid Driver’s license
Forklift certification—must be obtained in 30 days of hire
In order to be considered, candidates MUST have full availability during race weekend on the following dates: May 4-6, 2018.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to HR@P3R.org. Only candidates selected for interviews will be notified. P3R is an equal opportunity employer.