Assistant Coach (RC & RT)
Director of Athletics & Head Coach
The purpose of the B.A.A. is the promotion of the common good and the health and welfare of the general public and the encouragement of the general public to improve their physical condition by the promotion and regulation of amateur sports competition, with particular emphasis of long distance running events (especially the traditional annual Boston Marathon) and of track and field teams and meets and similar athletic exercises. Established in 1887, the Boston Athletic Association is a non-profit organization with a mission of managing athletic events and promoting a healthy lifestyle through sports, especially running.
Overview of Role
The Assistant Coach will support the Director of Athletics & Head Coach and directly train the B.A.A.’s Running Club and Racing Team athletes. They will be an important member of the B.A.A.’s athletic program and must believe in the mission and philosophy of the B.A.A. They will have experience working in a dynamic work environment, be able to multi-task, is detail-oriented, organized, work well with a variety of constituents, and be capable of working both independently and as a member of a team. The position’s responsibilities have a broad range; as such, they should demonstrate enthusiasm for working both within and outside of the scope of the job description.
- Develop and oversee middle distance, 5k-10k, and half-marathon – marathon training programs for the Running Club (RC) and Racing Team (RT)
- Plan competition plans for RT/RC with Director & Head Coach targeting B.A.A. events and organizational priority events
- Mid-week practices 2 hours x 1-2 per week (6:00-8:00 pm) at MIT, Harvard, Charles River locations, plus long runs (generally Sundays 8:00-11:00am, seasonally)
- Assist Director & Head Coach with all travel bookings and logistics for Club National Cross-Country Championships and B.A.A. priority events
- Weekly 1 hour virtual meeting with Director & Head Coach, as needed
- Up to 10 hours administrative responsibilities:
- Manage competition entries in advance of deadlines
- Manage race day preparations (team setup, uniform/footwear, & bibs)
- Produce relevant social media content & exposure for RT/RC in partnership with B.A.A. Communications Team
- Manage approved club expenses & reimbursements
- Manage membership database; maintaining up-to-date records
- Oversee onboarding process for new members
- Assist Director & Head Coach in establishing competitive standards for the RT
- Assist Athletics Coordinator with the production of B.A.A. club newsletters
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Director & Head Coach
Skills and Qualifications
- Two or more years of experience in one or more of:
- High school, collegiate, post-collegiate levels
- Experience coaching in elite level club system
- National or international distance running coaching experience
- Knowledge of various middle-distance and long-distance running training systems.
- Competitive athletic experiences from the which to draw upon preferred.
- Requisite leadership and communication skills.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the competitive athletics environment in USATFNE area preferred
- USATF Coaching certification or similar certification; or ability to complete within 1 year post-hire.
- Registered USATF Coach & SafeSport certified (with completed background check)
- CPR/AED certified, or ability to complete with 60 days of hire.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, etc.)
This is a part-time position (up to 20hrs/wk) that would be based in Boston, but primarily remote & at practice/competition locations. The role will also require working some weekends and nights approaching race weeks.
- adidas shoes & apparel
- Employer covered professional development, license renewals, and trainings
- Reimbursement for approved work-related expenses
- Inclusion in B.A.A. organizational events
- Competitive part-time compensation and:
- 401K matching dollar-for-dollar up to 4% after one year of service, elective deferrals may begin upon hire
- Paid vacation based on years of service
- 11 paid holidays, 9 scheduled and 2 floating
- A private option for Paid Family & Medical Leave with up to 26 weeks of paid leave per year for qualifying leave events
The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
Limited local travel required, including limited travel to Hopkinton office & warehouse as needed. Travel to practices & events as required.