ABOUT BOSTON ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
The Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) is a non-profit organization with a mission to promote a healthy lifestyle through sports, especially running. The B.A.A. is committed to a world where all people can access and benefit from running and an active lifestyle. The B.A.A. advances its mission and vision by organizing mass-participatory running events such as the Boston Marathon, creating or supporting community fitness events, and sponsoring a running club that serves the greater Boston area.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Marketing Experience Manager will report to the Director of Brand and Experiential Marketing, and be responsible for a wide array of duties, including budgeting, planning, programming, and logistical support for B.A.A. events and experiences. All of which play an important role in designing and creating events and experiences that carry out the B.A.A.’s mission and vision in an impactful way. Critically, this role will oversee the delivery of the presenting sponsor (Bank of America) event entitlements, such as ticketing and hospitality events.
• Maintain the Annual Schedule of Events and Experiences, including events that surround races, such as VIP hospitality, Pro Athlete hospitality, post-race parties, and sponsor- focused events, as well as annual organizational events, such as annual meetings and volunteer recognition events.
• Plan and execute logistics for events, including timelines, budgets, run of show, look and feel, set up and strike plans, vendor management, communications plan and post-event critiques and wrap ups.
o Boston Marathon events
o B.A.A. Distance Medley supporting events
o Membership events
o Sponsor events
o Community and Charity events
• Partner with the Director of Brand and Experiential Marketing to lead the operations of the Boston Marathon Expo, including sponsor activations as well as other trade show activations throughout the year.
• Collaborate effectively with the Senior Brand Manager to plan look and feel, signage, and integrate brand campaigns into events.
• Work in conjunction with the Corporate Partnerships/Sponsorship team to support and integrate presenting sponsor entitlements and initiatives as they relate to B.A.A. events.
• Lead presenting sponsor hospitality programs, ticketing support, and VIP movement for all events.
• Support events organized by the Development, Volunteer, and Community teams that serve the B.A.A. mission and strategic initiatives.
• Work closely with the Director of Brand and Experiential Marketing, and the Finance team to develop and manage all event budgets in a timely manner. Provide updates consistently to track financial status.
• Help to secure venue and vendor contracts for all events.
• Establish and manage necessary staffing plans along with timelines, roles, and responsibility grids.
• Collaborate effectively with the Operations team on equipment ordering and operational deliverables for events surrounding races.
• Issue concise and accurate status reports to the Director of Brand and Experiential Marketing weekly.
• Manage and support ad hoc projects and duties, as assigned.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We know people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
• 3-5 years of experience in event management required; 5-7 years preferred.
• Technical and logistical experience directly associated with established, large scale public events. Experience in athletics and entertainment desirable, but not essential.
• Competency with event-based technologies to manage invites and participants.
• Ability to effectively perform site planning and management. Must oversee installation of all event elements and monitor successful integrated execution.
• Budget and contract knowledge – ability to forecast accurately and stay within budget.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Experience in establishing and maintaining strong relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, including public officials.
• Ability to work collaboratively, both with fellow employees and outside contractors (general and subcontractors).
• Ability to think quickly and decisively in response to sudden-changing events/activities, both in the office and in the field.
• Forward thinker with the ability to work with IT providers to develop technological support systems and solutions for successful event management.
• Ability to multi-task, willingness to travel, work non-traditional hours and various weekends when required.
WORK EXPECTATIONS AT B.A.A
We are a hands-on team and seek employees who are passionate about our work and service to our community. The Marketing Experience Manager role is a 40 hours/week, exempt position. The role will require working some weekends and evenings. There will be longer work hours surrounding event production and events. Limited local travel required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The salary range is competitive and commensurate with lived and professional experience. The B.A.A. will promote your professional growth and development by providing access to:
● Competitive health & dental insurance plans
● Life insurance, short term, and long-term disability plans funded 100% by the B.A.A.
● 401(k) matching dollar-for-dollar up to 4% after one year of service, elective deferrals may begin upon hire
● An annual allotment of professional development funding (up to $2,000 per calendar year)
● Paid vacation based on years of service
● 11 paid holidays, 9 scheduled and 2 floating
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to this position, please prepare a resume and cover letter to the attention of the B.A.A. Human Resources team and submit your materials to Opportunities@baa.org.
The B.A.A. is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.