Summary of Position / Opportunity
The Big Sur Marathon Foundation is seeking a motivated professional to serve as Community Engagement & Volunteer Programs Manager. They will report to the Executive Director/Race Director (ED/RD) and will serve in a variety of capacities to increase BSMF’s community engagement, communications and impact on a local and regional level. Additionally, they will manage BSMF’s volunteer coordination for the two major annual races, the Big Sur International Marathon in April and Monterey Bay Half Marathon in November. They will organize non-race programs including the Palo Corona Fitness and Cross-Country Trail scheduling and operations, and the establishment of a youth fitness program for students in Monterey County.
The employee will be integral in helping BSMF achieve its mission of staging beautiful running events that promote health and benefit our community. This dynamic and collaborative role requires extensive cross-department communication to ensure community engagement, volunteer coordination and youth fitness programs are executed at the highest level.
General Duties & Responsibilities – Community Engagement & Marketing
● Work in conjunction with ED/RD and Governance Board to maintain and develop outstanding community relations and partnerships through membership in local community organizations, relationships with local city and county officials, and various community initiatives.
● Work with ED/RD to develop ideas and programs to give back to the community.
● Help to create and manage, as appropriate, special projects and additional events that maintain and/or fulfill the organization’s strategic plan, including community-based programming outside of the two signature race events.
● Promote BSMF events and initiatives through a variety of channels including social media, press releases, video content and/or podcasts.
● Oversee BSMF Ambassador programs.
● Additional duties may be assigned based on organizational needs.
Volunteer Coordination Duties & Responsibilities
● Recruit and coordinate diverse volunteer groups to serve in critical service areas relating to the effective execution of the Big Sur International Marathon and Monterey Bay Half Marathon.
● Work with BSMF Events Committee members (Blue Jackets) to ensure adequate volunteer support for BSMF events.
● Communicate and plan with Blue Jackets to maintain and enhance effective volunteer processes are in place to safely and successfully operate BSMF events.
● Work with board, ED and Blue Jackets to establish effective documentation of volunteer roles and responsibilities.
● Ensure successors are in place for all Blue Jacket positions.
● Develop and implement a retention and reward strategy for the Volunteer Program
● Manage the schedule, activities and priorities for Blue Jackets.
● Utilize vendor CRM to organize and structure a ‘next generation’ volunteer platform..
Youth Fitness and Palo Corona XC Development
● Assists in planning and overseeing all aspects of the Palo Corona cross-country meet season including scheduling of meets with regional high schools and colleges, coordination with Palo Corona Regional Parks District (MPRPD), and logistical management and operations of the fall cross-country seasons.
● Work with the Executive Director and BSMF committees to develop and implement a diverse ‘next generation’ youth fitness program that benefits our community members.
● Contact and collaborate with local educators and administrators regarding program implementation and delivery.
● Collaborate with physical educators working within the areas of adaptive physical education to ensure BSMF youth programs are inclusive and reaching all community members.
Qualifications & Experience
● The candidate must be detail oriented, possess strong time management skills and have an understanding of the value of running and/or physical activity to the health and wellness of a community.
● Success in this critical position will require the ability to build key relationships with internal and external stakeholders, while effectively managing a network of volunteer committee members and extended volunteer groups.
● Experience in recruiting, fundraising and/or marketing is preferred.
● Strong written and oral communication and customer service/success skills are required.
● The ability to work under tight deadlines is essential.
● Experience working within a community-based organization related to sports management, membership services, education, athletics and/or fitness.
● Demonstrated history of working positively and effectively within the larger context of an organization.
● Experience in training and fitness program design is a plus
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Business Administration, Sports Management, or Physical Education / Health & Human Performance or directly related experience.
Compensation, Benefits & Vacation Summary
● This is a full-time exempt position with an annual salary of $65,000 per year.
● Medical benefits including dental & vision.
● 10 paid vacation days annually
● 13 paid federal holidays
Estimated Time Allocation (Subject to change, based on organizational need)
● 40% volunteer coordination
● 40% community engagement, communications & program development
● 20% event management
Instructions to Apply
● Please send a cover letter and resume along with 3 professional references to Josh@bsim.org
● Position will remain open until filled
The Big Sur Marathon Foundation (BSMF) creates beautiful running events that promote health and benefit the community. Since 1986, BSMF has been partnering with community leaders, sports enthusiasts and runners from all walks of life across local communities and organizations.
Today, the Big Sur International Marathon is managed by a Governance Board of the non-profit Big Sur Marathon Foundation (BSMF). With offices in beautiful Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, we are looking for an experienced professional who will be a part of our team and support our mission – working to help champion our vision for running programs – and continue the legacy of The Big Sur International Marathon.