Carmel-by-the-Sea, Northern California
Application link: https://www.indeed.com/job/
The Big Sur Marathon Foundation (BSMF) creates beautiful running events that promote health and benefit the community. Since 1986, BSMF has been partnering with community leaders, sports enthusiasts and runners from all walks of life across local communities and organizations.
Today, the Big Sur International Marathon is managed by a 12-person Governance Board of the non-profit Big Sur Marathon Foundation (BSMF).
With offices in beautiful Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, we are looking for an Executive Director – an experienced professional who will lead our team and support our mission – championing our vision for running programs – and continue the legacy of The Big Sur International Marathon.
The Executive Director is responsible and accountable for managing a team that maintains BSMF as a world class race organization and develops its youth and community program and cross-country youth program based on the board’s direction.
This includes performing the role of Race Director during all races, having and retaining the right people in the right staff positions, engaging the right contractors, vendors and partners, providing financial management, leading strategic planning and implementation, working with the board to ensure appropriate financial resources, developing a culture that reflects the vision and mission of BSMF, conducting fundraising, overseeing its volunteer program, and maintaining excellent community and board relationships to fulfill the mission.
Serving as the Race Director during the weekend races, the Executive Director will partner with the race vendor/s on race and program logistics. The Executive Director is directly responsible for managing and overseeing all race volunteer teams and staff.
- Vendor, Staff, and Business Management 35%
- Event Management and Volunteer Program Oversight 20%
- Board Relations and Strategic Planning 15%
- Fiscal Planning, Budget, and Cash Flow 20%
- Community and Partner Relations 10%
1. At least 5 years’ experience successfully managing and leading teams comprised of staff, contractors and volunteers.
2. Experience in a leadership role for a non-profit organization with a Board of Directors.
3. Demonstrated financial management experience including budget development, execution and oversight.
4. Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in
Management, Business, Public Administration, Nonprofit Administration, or equivalent amount of work experience
5. Experience in a leadership role for a large event-driven organization is a plus.
If you meet the first 4 critical requirements, please send us your resume – include your responses to the following questions in your cover letter – we will contact you:
- What attracts you to BSMF?
- Describe your communication style with staff, volunteers and vendors, and give historical examples for each group. What made your communication with them effective?
- Describe the specific role you have played in strategic planning and with whom, and the success you achieved.
BSMF is committed to a safe and healthy work environment, including its races and programs. Successful candidates will be required to show proof of full vaccination and pass a background, credit, and reference verification prior to the start of employment.
Adding to the amazing opportunity of being surrounded by the natural beauty of the Monterey Peninsula, BSMF offers a competitive compensation package, health benefits for you and your qualified dependents, and a work culture that supports continued learning and growth.
We are looking for a career match, not “someone to fill an opening”, and are open to discussing relocation for the right candidate.
If this opportunity sounds like a fit with the next phase in your career, please send us your resume and responses ASAP.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $135,000.00 – $150,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
BSMF complies with applicable local, state, and federal health guidelines for a safe and hazard-free work environment. BSMF encourages the wearing of masks when indoors, provides appropriate PPE, and requires full vaccination of its employees.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA 93923: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Management: 5 years (Required)
- Financial management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Nonprofit management: 5 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location