Event Operations Manager serves as part of the high caliber Twin Cities In Motion (TCM) team, which has planned and executed the region’s premier running events since 1982. Its mission is simple – ignite everyone’s inner athlete.
TCM is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit that organizes five races with 17 distances throughout the year, including the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon, to provide opportunities for people of all ages, abilities, and experiences to live an active, healthy lifestyle. Collectively, TCM and its charity partners that fundraise at TCM events give back more than $1 million annually to a variety of causes.
The Event Operations Manager is responsible for leading the course operations for all Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Weekend events (MTCM Weekend); and contributing to all other TCM events, primarily in the area of event logistics and operations preparation and execution, as part of the TCM Events Team.
Maturity, strong communication, organization, and leadership skills are critical for the Event Operations Manager position.
The position reports to the Sr. Events & Portfolio Manager and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Serve as the course operations lead for the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon weekend:
o Develop and maintain high-quality course logistics and operations documentation for all aspects of MTCM weekend course operations
o Manage the volunteer committees, staff, and vendors responsible for all MTCM weekend fluid station, course marshal, lead vehicle procession, lead bicycle, course clean-up and reopening, and transportation operations
o Submit and track permits necessary for all MTCM weekend courses
o Be primary liaison externally with assigned city agencies (e.g., Parks Police, SPPD, MPD) to ensure successful operations of all MTCM weekend courses
o Manage all advance notification activities (e.g., postcards, flyering, “No Parking” posting) for MTCM weekend courses
o Manage assigned vendors to ensure best practices and availability of needed assets, including submitting RFPs for and assessing suitability of new vendors when needed
o Collaborate with other individuals or departments to ensure complete and accurate details, including integration of sponsors and partners, into all MTCM weekend course permits and operational plans
o Maintain awareness of all relevant construction and public works projects that could impact all MTCM weekend courses and transportation
• Serve as the operations & logistics support for TCM non-marathon weekend events:
o Maintain and develop event logistics and operations documentation and collaborate with other individuals or departments to ensure complete and accurate details, including integration of sponsors and partners
o Manage and place assigned vendor orders and coordinate individualized vendor logistics for each event
o Supporting liaison externally with all city agencies to ensure safe and successful operation of the event
o Collaborate with volunteer lead and event committee and attend regularly scheduled meetings for assigned areas
o Coordinate event volunteer needs with the Volunteer Manager
o Support in creating the event operations budget in order to achieve TCM’s goals for the event
o Work with marketing and partnership teams on participant and sponsor engagement/experience enhancement activities aligned with TCM’s goals for the event as assigned
• Serve as the course operations content expert for all year-round Twin Cities In Motion events.
o Provide expert-level support to the Event Lead in development of all areas of course operations and traffic control plans, as needed
o Manage the team responsible for all race day fluid station, course marshal, lead vehicle procession, lead bicycle, course reopening, and course entertainment operations
o Work with assigned vendors and manage contract obligations for all year-round TCM race events
o Manage all advance notification activities (e.g., postcards, flyering, “No Parking” posting) for all TCM events
o Submit RFPs for assigned year-round vendors to ensure best practices and availability of needed assets
o Provide significant race management support for all TCM race events
o Provide significant logistical and warehouse support for all TCM race events, including TCM Events Team “all-hands” days
o Other duties as apparent and required, as assigned
• Minimum 2-4 years race management experience and/or project management experience
• Proven ability to work with diverse peer, community and volunteer groups
• Skillful communicator able to effectively interact with a diverse group of personalities
• Strong interpersonal, organizational and planning skills
• Ability to regularly lift weights for events up to 25 lbs. and occasionally weights up to 40 lbs.
• Available to work non-traditional business hours during all events and to attend evening and morning meetings
• Able to handle busy, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, with attention to detail and ability to maintain a calm presence during challenging situations
• Four-year degree preferred
• Experience with non-profits and volunteerism a plus
• Comfortable driving box trucks (no CDL required)
• Forklift certification a plus, willingness to become forklift certified a must
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Process: Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and a resume to email@example.com. Position opened until filled.