Virginia Beach, Virginia – On April 25, 2022, the Virginia Green Travel program recognized 20 Virginia tourism businesses and 7 individuals for their outstanding efforts to protect the environment and support green tourism in Virginia. The awards were presented during the 9th annual Virginia Green Travel Conference.
The Yuengling Shamrock Marathon Weekend received the Virginia Green Travel Star Award as Green Event of-the-Year for their above-and-beyond efforts to protect the environment and support sustainable tourism in Virginia.
“Conserving natural resources, engaging customers, and working to increase sustainable tourism business in Virginia. The Virginia Green Travel Certification program works to support and promote those businesses that are committed to reducing the environmental impacts of their operation,” says Tom Griffin, the Executive Director of the Virginia Green Travel Alliance. “The Virginia Green Travel Star Awards recognizes the ‘greenest’ businesses and individuals that have demonstrated outstanding commitments to the environment in the past year. We are proud to recognize J&A Racing and the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon Weekend as a true partner in our efforts to promote sustainable tourism in Virginia!”
“We are thrilled for the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon Weekend to be recognized for this great award,” said Amy Frostick, Co-Owner of J&A Racing. “At J&A Racing, we understand the importance of being environmentally conscious, and we work really hard to take care of the community that we are so blessed to call home. We live in an amazing place to log our miles, and we are dedicated to continuing to keep it green!”
- The Virginia Green Travel program is run through a partnership between the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, the Virginia Tourism Corporation, Virginia State Parks, the Virginia Restaurant, Lodging & Travel Association, and the Virginia Green Travel Alliance. The program encourages green practices in all sectors of Virginia’s tourism industry. More than 1,200 businesses and partner organizations have voluntarily certified their green commitments through Virginia Green.
- The Virginia Tourism Corporation promotes the certified Virginia Green program partners at www.virginia.org/green-travel and encourages visitors to plan their green vacations in Virginia.
- The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality provides technical resources and oversight of the certification process — www.deq.virginia.gov/get-involved/pollution-prevention/virginia-green
- The Virginia Green Travel Alliance is the non-profit organization that administers the Virginia Green certification program and supports partner outreach and educational opportunities – www.VirginiaGreen.net.
- All 41 Virginia State Parks are certified in the Virginia Green Travel program, and VSP and Virginia Green Travel are working to “co-brand” and promote sustainable tourism opportunities in all regions of the Commonwealth.
- Virginia Restaurant, Lodging & Travel Association assists in promotion and development of educational opportunities for the tourism industry.
- The Virginia Green Travel Alliance is the 501c3 non-profit organization created to administer the Virginia Green Travel Certification program and promote certified partner businesses.
- 9th Annual Virginia Green Travel Conference & Travel Star Awards.
About J&A Racing
J&A Racing is a nationally recognized race management company based in Virginia Beach, Virginia. With a portfolio of seven events, J&A Racing’s mission is to promote and support healthy lifestyles and the sport of running through all stages of life. Since 2003 when J&A Racing owners, Amy and Jerry Frostick, took over the Shamrock Sportsfest, the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon Weekend has become one of the most popular running events in the country growing from 3,000 participants to a record 30,000 in 2015. Additionally, J&A Racing organizes the Old Point National Bank Wicked 10K; the MSP Design Group Big Blue 5K; the BayPort Credit Union Surf-N-Santa 5 Miler; the BayPort Foundation Crawlin’ Crab Half Marathon & 5K; the Chartway Norfolk Harbor Half Marathon, 10K & We Promise Foundation Norfolk Harbor 5K; and the ADP Corporate 5K. For more information on J&A Racing’s events, visit jandaracing.com.